The Acquabot X4 in-ground robotic pool cleaner is an eye-catching machine, with see-through debris collection baskets and extra-large wheels that make it look a little more exciting than your average pool cleaner.
Made by Aqua Products, the company that introduced the world’s first robotic pool cleaner in 1982, the X4 brings all the features you’d come to expect from a unit like this – and a few features that are unique to this model.
So what’s the X4 really like? We’ve dug into product manuals, video demonstrations, and owner reviews to get the inside scoop on the individual features of this unit and how it performs in the field.
In this review, we’ll tell you what you need to know to help you decide whether the Aquabot X4 is the right fit for your pool.
4-Wheel Drive Gives Superior Traction On Floors and Walls
While it may seem unusual for the term “4-Wheel Drive” to be used for a pool cleaning machine, it’s a highlighted feature of the Aquabot X4.
The 4WD system gives the machine extra traction on slippery pool surfaces and objects like drains and stairs, so the unit won’t get stuck as it cleans. The high-grip wheels also allow the X4 to handle a 90-degree floor-to-wall transition with ease.
Note: If you have a fiberglass or tile pool, you’ll need to order a wheel kit from the manufacturer to accommodate those surfaces. Alternatively, you can take a look at the Dolphin Nautilus CC Proor the Dolphin Triton PS, which work on all pool surfaces out of the box.
Generous Debris Baskets With Ultra-Fine Mesh Filters
The two filter baskets on the Acquabot X4 have a see-through top cover and two ultra-fine mesh filters capable of capturing debris, algae and bacteria as small as 2 microns.
They’re also deep enough to hold a surprising amount of debris, with a full 190 cubic inches of basket space ready to be filled with each cleaning cycle.
Video reviews from owners show baskets packed with larger leaves and plant matter, so if you frequently have organic debris in your pool, this cleaner has the space to handle it.
85 Gallons Per Minute of Water Circulation
With a powerful, built-in water circulation system, the Aquabot X4 can filter up to 85 gallons of water per minute – on par with the filter systems built in to many pools.
Running this unit in your pool frequently means that you’ll have to use fewer chemicals to keep your pool clean. The Aquabot’s ultra-fine mesh filters do the work for you, circulating and filtering an impressive amount of water as it cleans your pool’s surfaces.
Special Features Of This Unit
A nice perk of the Acquabot X4 is its user-friendly control panel, which features easy-to-understand icons and buttons for easy operation. It even has a light that will turn on to alert you when the filter baskets are full.
This unit also comes with its own caddy – free of charge – for storing and transporting the machine. This is an especially nice addition, as most robot pool cleaners require a separate purchase to get the caddy.
Also of note is an adjustable suction intake. The two large suction ports on the bottom of the unit can be raised or lowered to make it easier for the machine to clear obstacles like tall drain covers.
Finally, the Aquabot X4 uses the AutoX Pool Mapping system to learn your pool’s shape and develop the most efficient route to make sure that every part of your pool gets cleaned.
Features and Specifications
- Suitable for in-ground and above-ground pools
- Tangle-free, 60-foot cable
- Works with most pool surfaces (fiberglass pools require the purchase of wheel kit)
- AutoX Pool Mapping system learns your pool shape
- 2 extra-large filter baskets (190 cubic inch capacity)
- Dual ultra-fine mesh filters capture debris and algae as small as 2 microns
- Cleans wall and waterline
- Rotating micro-brushes for dislodging debris from pool surfaces
- Large water intake slot to pick up sticks, leaves, and bigger debris
- Energy-efficient power supply (estimated cost per cleaning cycle of 5 cents)
- Cleaning cycles of 60, 90, or 120-minutes
- Programmable scheduling settings (automatic running every 48, 72, or 96 hours)
- User-friendly control panel
- Easy-grip handle for easy release and retrieval
- Lightweight – only 16 pounds
- 1-year bumper-to-bumper warranty, 3-year limited warranty
Customer Reviews and Impressions
After reading through reviews and watching videos of the Acquabot X4 in action, we’ve seen that most owners are happy with their purchase and report effective, hassle-free pool cleaning with this unit.
Of course, no pool cleaner gets perfect reviews across the board, and the X4 is no exception.
A few owners mentioned that the ultra-fine mesh filters were harder to rinse out than they expected, and one owner said that it took a few tries for the pool mapping system to properly learn the shape of their pool.
However, the majority of reviews show that owners, on the whole, were satisfied with the performance of their Aquabot X4.
Packed with a host of novel and convenient features, the Acquabot X4 appears to be a smart choice for those who want exceptional water filtration and circulation in their pool.
Based on our current analysis of buyer reviews – as well as watching this robot pool cleaner in action – we can confidently give the Aquabot X4 our “thumbs-up” recommendation as a machine that will keep your pool clean and ready to enjoy all season long.
- Awarded "Best Value Robot" based on rich feature set combined with the low price - 360° Anti-Tangle Swivel + Oversized 190 Cubic Inch Top-Loading Cartrdge + Free Transport Caddy + 3 Year Warranty
- Ideal for all pool shapes (above ground and inground) up to 60 feet. Highly energy efficient - each cleaning costs about 5.
- Industry-leading pumps circulate 85 GPM for a cleaner pool with fewer chemicals.
- AutoX Pool Mapping calculates the pool shape and the best cleaning cycle for speed and efficiency
- 4WD traction and micro-brushes ensure total cleaning coverage even on walls
Amazon information last updated on 2021-05-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API